The applicant must be 18 years of age or older, be high school graduate, and have a clean criminal record. Concealed Pistol License is preferred. A Reserve Deputy is a volunteer position.
Road Patrol Deputy - Part-time Position
All applicants must possess the following minimum requirements:
- Age 21 or older by the closing date for accepting applications
- Possess a valid license to operate a vehicle in the State of Michigan
- Be a United States citizen
MCOLES licensed or certifiable
- Must pass a background investigation
- Must pass a physical examination including drug screening and a psychological evaluation
- Must possess normal visual functions in each eye.
- Possess 20/20 corrected vision in each eye.
- Possess normal color vision
Deputy Sheriff/ Road Patrol - Full-time Position
An eligibility list will be developed based upon the application packet. Interviews will be scheduled as needed.
The Cass County Sheriff’s Office is devoted to providing protection for and service to the community. The Sheriff’s Office is a multi-faceted police agency with specialized units. Some of these units include a millage funded Narcotics team, K-9, Tactical, Crash Investigation and School liasons.
This full time position has law enforcement service responsibilities to the residents of Cass County, will enforce laws and traffic regulations, investigate crime, provide general assistance to the public and function as part of a team oriented group of police professionals. Employees must be able to act without direct supervision and exercise independent judgment and discretion in meeting emergencies.
Currently employees for this position start at $40,900.00 with excellent benefits that include a Michigan Employees Retirement System (B-3) retirement package.
The position requires that the individual:
- Holds a Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) License or that he/she be MCOLES licensable by June 1, 2014
- A qualifying applicant must have a responsible work record and personal history
- Possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted, Michigan Driver's License
- Computer keyboarding skills are a prerequisite.
Desired qualifications include:
- An Associates Degree (or course work) in Criminal Justice, or related field
- Bilingual ability is beneficial
- Prefer, but not required to have, prior, successful, work experience in law enforcement.
Selected candidates for these positions are subject to a detailed background investigation, drug testing and a psychological exam. The successful applicant must be of sound character, have the desire to make a long term commitment to work for the citizens of Cass County, demonstrate a responsible work history, be free of felony convictions and possess a good driving record.
Interested persons should send a completed application and resume to the Cass County Sheriff’s Office at 321 M-62, Cassopolis, MI 49031 or to Captain Lyndon Parrish @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment Applications are available here.